Instant Pot Congee
1 cup Asian BestⓇ Rice Bits
5 cups water
4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
Salt and chili oil to taste
1 cup ChaolayⓇ Tom Yum Crispy White Sardines
2 green onions, thinly sliced
Chopped fresh cilantro
- Place rice in a fine-mesh strainer, and rinse with cold water until the water runs clear. Add rice to Instant Pot along with water and chicken stock.
- Place lid on Instant Pot, ensuring the steam valve is in the closed position. Cook at high pressure for 30 minutes.
- While the congee cooks, prepare the eggs. Add 1” water to a medium saucepan, then place a steamer basket inside. Cover and bring water to a boil over high heat. Place eggs in a steamer basket, cover saucepan, and steam for 7 minutes.
- Fill a medium bowl with ice water. When eggs have finished cooking, transfer to ice water with tongs and let cool completely.
- When the rice has cooked for 30 minutes, allow pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, then open the steam valve to release the remaining pressure. Stir congee well and add salt to taste.
- Gently crack eggs all over, peel, and cut them in half.
- Divide congee among 4 bowls. Top each with 1 egg, chili oil, sardines, green onion, and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Make sure you do not manually release the pressure initially. Give it the 20 minutes needed to naturally release first. When it is very hot, the congee can actually get pulled into the valve and cause a big mess if you manually release it right away.